Monday, January 12, 2009

Day 5 Updates

Another lively day for the family! While supplementing the little boy at 2am, I noticed that the stitches from their tail dockings were opened up on one of the boys (Tan). I took him to the vet the next morning. .... noticing that 2 other pups had their tails opened up. Most likely my over-zealous cleaning mama-dog!

So we headed to the vet with two of the pups, leaving the other two with a babysitter.

Unfortunately I got the vet who was equally overzealous. He told me how the puppies "aren't going to make it" and the wounds were so bad and that they needed immediate skin grafting at a referral clinic. Um...yeah.

So I called the technician who did the tails who assured me it was no big deal, as did every other Rottweiler breeder I could think to call. So we left the clinic without the referral and instead took home some antibiotic ointment and oral Clavamox (Antibiotic).

I recorded some of the video feed of the puppies nursing and changed the angle of the camera so it wasn't such a "birds eye view". Now their getting cuter. The problem is finding a place to mount the camera that shows most of the whelping box!

Oh well.

So puppies continued day 2 of the "Superdog" Early Neurologica Stimulation program and are doing great. What troopers! They consistently stress on the cold wash cloth and were equally fussy about being held. Blue struggled the least. I'm guessing its because we tested during dinner time. I'm going to do equal amounts of stimulation both when they are asleep and when they are awake.

I've reduced the supplementing of the small boy and will be going out tonight to get a digital scale because I'm not trustng the weight readings I've been getting. Hopefully that will help. This will be my third attempt at purchasing a scale.


The puppies are a lot of fun right now, just watching how they find their individual nipples. Blue is still the best about finding the nipples underneath...he can burrow like a gopher with his size! He's catching up quickly and everytime I see him he is nursing strong!

Black is the most pushy about his meals. Tan is the more mellow puppy thus far .... he holds his own and doesn't back down when Black tries to steal his meal. He's also the more independent puppy....if a puppy is away from the group, its usually tan boy.

Pink doesn't have any standout characteristics just yet. She seems to hold her own against the boys but no real personality is showing thru. Tan is still the noisiest puppy, although Pink sent me running into the room when she decided she didn't like Mama Cindy picking her up! She can sure scream when she wants to !!!

Blue is still my little peanut. He's adorable. Very mellow but he seems like he's gonna be a tough one. And I dont' think by the time he's 8 weeks we will be calling him the little guy. He's kind of a pig!

The puppies all have really nice coat texture right now and angulation. Blue has a slightly longer back and I'm not in love with his croup but weight may change that. The proportions are all nice so far. I think we have a few Siegers in this litter!

No comments:

Post a Comment