Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Development Updates

Many things have happened in the last week!

Black was the first to start opening his eyes on 1/21. He weighed in at 3lbs, 3 oz on 1/26. He's showing the most play and interest in people right now....the most likely try and climb in my lap or lick my feet while I'm cleaning the box.

Tan decided to open his eyes during the same night Black started and his were open on 1/22. He weighed 3 lbs, 5 oz on 1/26 making him the bigger boy right now. He is showing the most temperament right now....the most vocalizations, growls, barks. Very noisy and seems a bit touch sensitive. He's really reminding me of his Uncle Reino in how he reacts to handling.

Pink girl has been the quiet nurturer. She's always with her baby brother Blue. She opened her eyes on 1/23 and weighed 2 lbs, 9 oz on 1/26. She's very calm with handling. She's pretty much everyone's favorite pillow if their in a pile. She reminds me a lot of grandma fera!

Blue boy took his time opening his eyes. He likes to take his time with everything! He opened one eye on 1/23 and just finally got them fully open. He's more interested in sleeping or hanging with his mom than exploring the box. He weighed 1 lb, 5 oz on 1/26.


A question that came up on the chat room is "why isn't she feeding the little one" ....

Um, far from it. Cindy is showing immense favoritism to Blue at this point. Some people think she is "attacking" her puppies over food. Actually she's been guarding blue boy while he's nursing so that he can eat the most. She still lets them all nurse but definitely has her moments where she'll pick him up, move him across the box and just let him nurse.

NO she is not hurting her puppies !
She's actually always been very good in dog social groups as the one I use who can sound like a lion but never leave a mark. So yes...she's making a heck of a lot of noise and bumping them with her nose but she is NOT making any kind of contact.

So at the moment, Blue is by far her favorite. He is always the cleanest puppy and Tanya noticed he's always the one who is wet because she grooms him the most.

Some people question the camera going out.....
I've had the unfortunate luck of blowing several fuses because I'm using so many heaters in the house because of the cold weather this past week (lotta rain in Southern California!).

So yes...if the fuse blows, I'm using an old laptop to run the webcam so it will usually shut off because the battery isn't being powered.

There's also been a problem of ustream.tv timing out every once in awhile. I usually notice pretty quickly but maintaining the webcam isn't exactly my highest priority.


The puppies have recently started listening to music now that their ears are open to the sounds of the world. I'm playing a CD of noises 1-2x per day on low which contains sounds like gun fire, trains, dog show noises, etc. Just to get them use to hearing other things. I'm playing radio pretty much 100% of the time (barring any blown fuses!)


Structurally is a toss up between them all. The best markings are on Black and Pink.

They all have very nice heads. I really like the length of muzzle and topskull on pink and black. I'm still not sure what I think about Blue Boy's headtype. Its not bad....just very different. I have no clue who he's going to look like in this pedigree !


Thats all for now! More pictures soon!

1 comment:

  1. Quote:

    Actually she's been guarding blue boy while he's nursing so that he can eat the most. She still lets them all nurse but definitely has her moments where she'll pick him up, move him across the box and just let him nurse.

    Unquote

    I witnessed this the other day. For a split second I got worried that she was going after one of the puppies, until Bonnie explained that she was just guarding Blue. I know she wouldn't hurt any of her babies, but this is all so new to me, and it just kinda surprised me, that's all. I'm not questioning your experience, trust me!! I'm a worry wart, whether it's baby animals, or my 31 year old "baby", lol! That's part of the "Mom" in me that just never goes away :=)

    Love My Critters
    I witnessed

    ReplyDelete