Saturday, January 10, 2009

Happy Family....

TAN/TEAL BOY





BLUE BOY (aka "PEANUT")


PINK GIRL




BLACK BOY










The happy family continues another day. Today we docked the tails on the puppies with the assistance of the Veterinary Technician who's so experienced she not only did CINDY'S litter but also the litter that Cindy's mom came from! Puppies and mamma handled the procedure well and were back home in no time. Black boy showed his "drive" for eating while in the car. All the puppies were placed in tub on a heating pad in my lap and before I knew it...black boy was in my lap crawling for mom's buffet! He's a crack up. It sounds like a car engine when he nurses! Same for the Teal/Tan boy....who's equally as big! These boys are huge!

Many people have commented about Cindy picking up and moving the puppies around. She has been a very cat-like mamma dog. If she wants to clean them, she picks them up, puts them between her front paws and puts them back when she's done. If they try and crawl too far away....she just grabs them and puts them back where she wants them. A few people have inquired about certain things I'm doing in the whelping box. Earlier I was cleaning the bums of the boy puppies because she wasnt cleaning the big boys as well as she should have been.

And for the little blue boy (aka Peanut), we decided to start supplementing him because Cindy's milk production is relatively low and I think its been too hard for him to nurse. Aside from the two gigantic brothers pushing him off at every chance, Cindy licks him while he's nursing and he goes flying! Poor guy!

We supplemented with some milk replacement formula and I found that using a syringe and dropping a bit in at a time while he's trying to nurse has been helping him. I'm also trying to keep the bigger boys from bullying him too much until he can catch up. So if you see me in the box...that is probably what I'm doing!

No more updates for now....enjoy the new photographs we took! I'll have more of them together to put up in a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment