Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Socialization and Renovations

The babies are coming up on 5 wks old this Thursday. Their diet has expanded and is including less and less of mom's milk. Typical meals are goats milk mixed with either raw ground beef or yougart and I just started them on some soaked kibble. They pretty much eat anything at this age! We also started something new this week.....HOUSEBREAKING!

Normally I'd follow the protocol of Cindy's breeder....where the babies graduate to their grown up play area. Unfortunately...its cold out there! So we'll use that as a day time play area and the whelping box has been renovated for night time. I took the back half of the box and added wood shavings and am teaching the puppies to use THAT as their pee and poop area. They naturally want to poop there but the peeing is taking some time. But their hitting their mark pretty consistently. Just a lot of timing it so every time I wake them up I immediately get them in the shavings and right after they eat they need to go into the shavings.


I got them a new toy. It was in the cat section and is this long piece of fur with some feathers at the end on a wand. They are really diggin' it! I call it early prey development :)







Still introducing new noises, textures, surfaces. I went to the SW Regional Schutzhund Championships this weekend and got a clatter stick for them. It doesn't clatter much (needs broken in) but I just tap them with it and bag it on my hand while they eat. Today we played with packing paper...the ones that pop!






Mmmm...MILK MUSTACHE!

Wanting some love!

We love our toys!!!



Stacking pictures coming soon! Aunt Tanya has to come over and help photograph! She tried doing it this weekend when she was babysitting them but they didn't turn out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment